Skip to main content

Hilltop Junior School

Valuing Everyone; Together we achieve more

About Us
School Governors
SEND support for pupils
Contact Us
Site A-Z
Member Login
Year Groups & Curriculum
Curriculum Map 2016
Outdoor Education
Dinner Menu
Db Primary and links
Extended Schools
Events and Awards
Eco Schools and Recyling
School Council
Sponsors of our Eco Garde
School Jargon Buster
We support Aquaid for Afr

Hilltop Junior School Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a place for my child?
All applications to Hilltop Junior School are dealt with by Planning and Admissions in County Hall, Chelmsford, either online or by telephoning 08456032200. If you would like to apply for a place at Hilltop Junior School, please phone us on 01268 734649 to arrange a visit to the school. You will receive a copy of the School Prospectus, which is also published on our school website.

What to I do if my child is unwell?
It is important to notify the school if your child is unable to attend as the school is expected to follow up any un-notified absence. Parents or carers can phone into school from 8.00 am to inform us if their child is unable to attend on the first day of absence, and leave a message on our school answerphone system. Should the absence continue into a second week we ask that parents update the school.

The school should be notified of all absences either by telephone, letter or personal contact before 9.20 am on the day of absence. Appointments for the doctor or dentist should, where possible, be arranged out of school time and an appointment card must be shown to office staff for the absence to be authorised. For reasons of safety, please contact the school immediately if your child is not returning to school for the afternoon session.

What if my child needs to take medication in school?
An "Administration of Medication" form is in the school foyer, giving staff permission to administer medication to your child. However staff can only administer prescribed medicine that has a chemists label setting out dosage instructions.

Where can I purchase school uniform?
Uniform items can be purchased from the Emblem Group, either online or in the store, 18 The Broadway, Wickford SS11 7AA. Telephone 01268 768797.

I have changed my address/phone number/mobile phone number. What should I do?
It is very important that the school has up-to-date details of parents and carers of all children in case we should need to contact you. If your contact details change, please complete an "Information Update" form, available from the school foyer. We can then ensure that our records are up to date. Please remember that this also applies for any other carers listed on your child(ren)'s records for emergency contact.

Someone different will be collecting my child from school today. What should I do?
It is important to let us know if your child is being collected by someone other than yourself. Children cannot be handed to 'unknown' adults without confirmation, so if necessary a phone call will be made to seek the permission of the parent or guardian.

I am going to arrive late to collect my child - what will happen?
If you are delayed, please telephone the school office if possible to let us know and your child will stay in the office until you arrive. ALL our children are told that if there is no-one in the playground to collect them they MUST come to the office and we appreciate parents' support in teaching the same rule.

In the event of severe weather how do I know if the school is open?
In the event of severe weather it may be necessary to close the school for all or part of the day. If this is the case we will update our school website, send a text message to parents/carers advising of the closure, and authorised school staff will notify the Local Radio Stations. We advise parents to listen to BBC Essex on 103.5 and 95.3 FM or Essex Heart on 102.6 and 96.3 FM for updates and advice. There will also be signs displayed outside the school.

What do I do if i think I may be able to claim free school meals for my child?
Applications should be made online via the Essex County Council website; . Please telephone or call in at the school office at your convenience for further information, or if you do not have access to a computer we will pleased to help you with your application. Enquiries of this nature are dealt with confidentially and in private.

When should I pay for school lunches?
The present charge of £2.00 a day, is collected in pre-printed envelopes (available from the school foyer) at the beginning of each week. However, should you decide you would like your child to have a school lunch during the week, payment can of course be made on the day. Please ask the school office if you would like a statement of the monies on your child's lunch account.

My child has lost an item of clothing/bag etc. What should I do?
We ask that all personal property, including clothing, is clearly labelled with the child's name. We also strongly encourage children to be responsible for their own belongings, to keep them safe and not leave things behind. If your child has lost something, please ask them to look for it themselves in the first instance - it may be easier for them to search the cloakroom during break times or after school. Named Lost Property is returned to children via their class, however, we regret that due to lack of storage space any unclaimed items are disposed of at the end of each week.

Can I speak to my child's teacher or the Headteacher?
Yes of course you can. We do however ask that all requests to speak to teachers are made via the office please. You will be asked to give a brief outline of what you would like to discuss - this is to ensure that the teacher can have any relevant documentation or facts to hand. If the matter is confidential however, please feel free to say so. All our staff have meetings and other responsibilities before and after school and are not always immediately available. If possible, please leave some suggested times when you are available and remember that it is sometimes easier to see teachers before school instead of after. If the matter you wish to discuss is urgent you will always be seen by someone, even if the teacher you may wish to speak to is unavailable. Someone is always available to share your concerns and answer your queries. However, please remember we have regular parent/teacher discussion meetings to discuss your child's progress in school.

Can I come into school?
ALL visitors to the school must come in via the school office, where they will be asked to sign the visitors' book. This is to ensure against intruders as well as keeping a check of who is in the building in case of the need for emergency evacuation.

How does my child apply to join a school club?
Application forms for school clubs are held within the school office. The office staff will also be pleased to advise on availability of spaces.